Thursday, January 18, 2018

Post #5 for DIY MFA: What's one "best practice" that didn't work for you?


Write first thing in the morning? Nope. Not good. Doesn’t work for me. 


Mornings start slowly. Sip my latte. Meander. Read from my stack of books. Later, emails awaken my creativity. My pace quickens with prompts or assignments. Once I arrive at the café and have my second latte, my fingers are flying off the keyboard. I have all the answers to every question proposed  (the caffeine is in high gear). And once I hit my stride, I can continue until well past dark.

My writing journey is a new career. I’m offering it six-plus hours a day. My first two careers were successful, although they each began with trepidation and fear and a conviction that I would never accomplish anything. That’s how I feel today about my writing. I’m floundering. But I’m a happy flounder-er. I love what I’m doing.

Two days ago, my post on DIY MFA received a comment.

My. First. Ever.

I don’t know Samantha, but she will forever hold a spot in my heart because she read something I wrote.

Don’t get me wrong. Writing isn’t a novice affair for me. Thousands of pages marinate in my basement in notebooks and hard drives. Hundreds of work-related blog posts rest entombed online. Many applaud my rewrites of their work.

Today, I’m writing to find my voice and share my thoughts and find my community and take readers on global journeys.

Each book and podcast and prompt and course and writing group and critique group take me one step closer. I’m not sure where these steps are leading, but the journey has begun.

Just don’t ask me to write in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I'm so not a morning person either. What's the line? Mornings are for coffee and contemplation. When I get to start a morning that way, the day is off to a good start! And, if I'm the Samantha who commented earlier, then you're welcome. Comments do make you feel a little less like you're just talking to yourself, don't they?

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete